YES I CAN LEARN A pilot program designed to help students become successful in school.
YES I CAN LEARN offers a tapestry of learning and leadership opportunities in single-gender classes that will combine literacy, numeracy, sports, arts and fun-filled activities.
What is taught?
Students will improve reading, math and writing skills through fun-filled, creative activities through the arts, sports and leadership opportunities.
Program goals are to:
- improve academic performance specifically in literacy and math through culturally responsive curriculum
- build community spirit, social responsibility through sports, arts and guest presenters improve students overall success and life chances through leadership opportunities develop a proper understanding and a sense of pride in ones cultural heritage
- engage students in fun-filled activities to improve their reading, writing and math skills through arts, sports and leadership learning
Parents will be invited and encouraged to be part of the YES I CAN LEARN program through workshops and presentations on how to help your child with homework and how to be an advocate for your child.
Time and locations
The program runs on Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and will operate from Morning Star M.S. and
Fletcher‘s Meadow S.S. on the following dates:
Saturday, November 10th, 2012 to February 2nd, 2013
Saturday, March 23rd to June 8th, 2013
The program will not run during the December break. Please contact your child’s school Principal for more information.
Who is eligible to attend?
The program is open to all students in Grade 7 and 8 within the Peel District School Board with a desire to experience a different learning environment. The positive qualities of a YES I CAN LEARN participant may include:
- students that want to improve in school
- students with leadership potential and want to learn about their cultural heritage students who will benefit from single gender classes
- African Canadian students who have a desire to build their confidence in interpersonal relationships within their school and community
Students in Grade 4, 5 & 6 are eligible to participate in similar YES I CAN LEARN activities combining music, arts, drama and story-telling to improve academic performance, community spirit and engagement through our International Languages program, in particular the English Creole program.
Teachers, Guidance Counsellors or School Administrators could recommend students for the YES I CAN Learn program. Parents and community members may also register students for this program. Students may ask their teacher about the program. Contact the Continuing Education office for more information at
905.890.1010 ext. 6610.
To register, please either:
Call 905.890.1010 ext. 6610 OR
Complete a registration form with your students’ classroom teacher. Your teacher will submit the form to the program and your child will be expected to attend the program starting on the first Saturday morning.
There is no cost to the students for this program.
Is transportation provided?
Where can I learn more?
Telephone 905-890-1010 ext. 6610 or email: YESICAN@peelsb.com